The UK Oil and Gas Industry Safety Awards, sponsored by Maersk Oil UK, hope to continue to inspire new standards of improved safety, with many of the nominees’ contributions being practiced by today’s UK offshore workforce.
This year, the key note address will be delivered by the Hon. Mr Justice Charles Haddon-Cave QC, who led the Nimrod enquiry and spoke at the Piper 25 Conference in 2013. Sir Charles is recognised as one of today’s leading commercial silks in the fields of aviation, shipping, insurance, travel law and arbitration. He has appeared regularly in the House of Lords, Court of Appeal, Commercial Court and in the Courts of Hong Kong and has instructed in major aviation and marine disasters in the UK.
Oil & Gas UK health, safety and employment issues manager Robert Paterson said the event will be reminder of the past as well as an opportunity to celebrate innovation and inspiration for the future:
“This showcase event is about celebrating the best in industry. All finalists are of an outstanding calibre, and their achievements are rightly to be celebrated and their ideas and methods shared across the industry. It’s an event not to be missed.”
Step Change in Safety Team Leader Les Linklater expressed his hope that the event will call in more of the top safety representatives, safety leaders and bright, energetic people moving up in the industry. He said:
“On the day of the awards ceremony we will be surrounded by the great and good of the industry, including safety leaders of the future, people who’ve intervened to prevent incidents and those companies leading the way in safety innovation.
“Offshore safety has improved so much over the last 16 years and these awards are all about showcasing the positive things that are going on. It doesn’t matter what your role is or whether you’re a leader, safety rep or trainee – if you’re playing your part to keep safety at the top of the agenda, you need to be here and I urge you to book your place at the awards today.”
The finalists are:
The UK Oil and Gas Industry Safety Award for Safety Leadership, sponsored by ABB Consulting:
- Paul Craig, Safety Manager, North Star Shipping;
- Tom Gilchrist, Business Stream 3 Director, WGPSN;
- Timothy Glasspool, Head of Flight Operations (Europe), Bristow Helicopters Ltd.
The UK Oil and Gas Industry Safety Award for Safety Representative, sponsored by Chevron North Sea Limited:
- Bob Egan, Trade Foreman, Petrofac;
- Davy Murray, Elected Safety Representative Buzzard Platform, Nexen Petroleum UK Ltd;
- David Thomson, Offshore Inspection Engineer, CAN.
The UK Oil and Gas Industry Safety Award for Preventative Safety Action, sponsored by BG International Limited:
- Helen Bowie, Lead HSE Advisor, Wood Group PSN;
- Derek Smith, Rigger/Deck Crew – Clyde, Wood Group PSN, Talisman Sinopec Contract;
- Mark Wood, Senior Process Engineer, Atkins Ltd.
The UK Oil and Gas Industry Safety Award for Most Promising Individual, sponsored by Petrofac Facilities Management:
- Mike Bucheggar, 5th Week Lead Mechanical Technician, Talisman Sinopec Energy UK/WGPSN;
- Steven Farquhar, HSE Advisor, WGPSN;
- Ruth Pirie, QSHE Advisor, Fisher Offshore.
The UK Oil and Gas Industry Safety Award for Innovation in Safety, sponsored by Draeger Safety UK Limited:
- DNV GL;
- Maersk FPSOs Ltd;
- Wells Team, Shell UK Ltd.
The UK Oil and Gas Industry Safety Award for Workforce Engagement, sponsored by Fairfield Energy Limited:
- Carol Banks and Lucy Norval, Trustees of the Pound for Piper Memorial Trust, jointly nominated by ConocoPhillips (U.K.) Limited and Stork;
- Andy Nolan, Seconded Safety Rep and the HSE&A Department, Talisman Sinopec Energy UK;
- Gillian Taylor and Megan Brown, HSE Advisor and Incident-Free Manager, Maersk Oil North Sea UK Ltd.
The UK Oil and Gas Industry Health Award, sponsored by AMEC PLC:
- Emma Roberts, Area Operations Health and Safety Advisor (Safety and Operational Risk), BP;
- RigRun Ltd;
- Well Track by Sodexo.
The UK Oil and Gas Industry Safety Award Ideas in Safety Prize:
- Aberdeen Drilling Consultants;
- Ayssar Hanza, Process Safety Engineer, BP;
- Bronson Larkins, Well Interventions Engineer, BP.