The Economic Affairs Committee in the Lords is exploring the present mix of policy interventions and subsidies in the energy market.
The core question which it is seeking to answer is: “What are the failures, if any, in the energy market and what measures are needed to correct them?”
Other questions the Committee is likely to ask Lawson when it meets on Wednesday include:
- Does the UK Government have a clear energy strategy at the moment?
- What impact will Brexit have on UK energy policy?
- Is the right balance being struck between the roles of government and the private sector?
- Do you support the development of the new nuclear power station at Hinkley Point on the current terms?
- Do you support the development of UK shale gas?
- Should the UK be concerned about energy security given rising imports of oil and gas?