More than £38 million was saved by 130,000 households switching energy supplier – in just one month of the government’s ‘Power to Switch’ campaign.
The ‘Power to Switch’ campaign launched on Monday 16 February 2015. The campaign has run in England, Scotland and Wales.
Compared with the same period the previous year, the figures, provided by OFGEM-accredited price comparison sites, also show:
- 193% increase in total savings
- Average saving of £312 for dual fuel switches – an increase of nearly 60%
- 80% increase in the number of households who switched
The Department of Energy & Climate Change ‘Power to Switch’ campaign encouraged people to switch suppliers and its website received more than 350,000 visits.
UK Energy Secretary, Ed Davey, said: “Our campaign has helped put millions of pounds back in people’s pockets – and thousands have benefitted.
“A huge increase in switching in a four week period shows that people want better deals from energy providers – and our reforms to the market have driven competition and made that possible.”
The government’s programme of energy market reform includes:
- Halving switching times – it now takes only 17 days to switch energy supplier down from five weeks last year
- Encouraging new suppliers on to the market – there are now 21 independent suppliers
- Legislating to back Ofgem reforms that force energy companies to make energy bills clearer – and providing information for customers about how to switch
Electricity switching figures covering the campaign period will be published by Energy UK in April and May.