Give a little something back to help Scotland light up Malawi this Christmas

Children study by solar light in Malawi
Children study by solar light in Malawi

“Overcoming poverty is not a task of charity, is it an act of justice” Nelson Mandela.

Yet, in Malawi, only 9% of the 15.9 million people have electricity, leaving the other 91% relying on ‘high risk’ light sources, such as a Kerosene lamp– a lamp which provides only poor light at best, while omitting a toxic black smoke.

The poor light significantly limits the length of the working day and ability for children to study.

Overall it is hazardous to the health and well-being, not to mention the expense – which is up to 15% of a family’s income, prohibiting some of the most basic human needs being met and placing progression out of this vicious cycle, out of reach.

Initiated by the Scotland 2020 Climate Group, the Scotland Lights Up Malawi campaign is raising funds (initially £400k) in order to address climate justice by investing in solar lights in Malawi, undertaking research into climate justice and educating children both here in Scotland and in Malawi.

Make a donation towards the campaign’s outstanding target of £65,000 via the following link:

http://www.scottishenergynews.com/profile/how-you-can-give-a-little-something-back-to-help-scotland-light-up-malawi-this-christmas/

 

Malawi3

 

Pixie Energy

Pixie logo Pixie Energy is an incubator and a facilitator of strategic research and project work, focusing on energy regulation, policy and markets at the local and national level. Find out more about Pixie Energy here.

Local Energy Matters: Scotland

Local Energy Matters: Scotland is a free-to-download brochure with a focus on energy tariffs in the two Scottish electricity distribution regions, as well news on local energy and low-carbon schemes.

Previous editions can be download here.

Scottish energy market overview

You can read an overview of the Scottish energy market here.

Scottish Government energy feed