On 22 January, North Ayrshire Council published its plans to meet its net zero emissions target by 2030. Elected members of Cabinet agreed, among other proposals, to:
- Engage with higher education establishments to develop proposals for a solar farm project.
- Create opportunities to further increase renewable energy generation.
- Develop energy efficient homes using new technologies.
- Work in partnership to implement sustainable opportunities for local businesses and Council assets.
- Introduce an Electric Vehicle Strategy and utilise available funding to install charge points.
It was noted that, as a result of the council’s efforts so far, carbon emissions have been reduced by just under 40% since 2005.