A group of business leaders and influencers in Scotland called The Climate Emergency Response Group has issued a 12-point plan of the actions that the Scottish Government should implement to counteract the impact of climate change.
Published on 26 August, actions include:
- assemble £11bn of annual public procurement to support the product and service innovation the climate emergency response needs
- initiate four Green City Region Deals
- create a Scottish Heat Pump Sector Deal that provides clear long-term market signals for the accelerated installation of heat pumps
- enhance building standards to deliver zero-carbon homes and buildings, and
- accelerate Scotland’s energy efficiency retrofit scheme and to establish a public-interest company to invest in and operate Carbon Capture and Storage infrastructure.
The group said that these actions can all be taken forward with urgency by Ministers.
The Scottish Government has said that the Programme for Government, which is expected to be published on 3 September, will set out important further detail on Scotland’s declaration of a climate emergency, and the Government’s response.