“Improving energy efficiency is a great way to save money and help customers cut their bills. Energy companies are committed to helping people make their homes more energy efficient and warmer.
- Insulation: A third of heating costs could be lost through the walls, so insulating them is the best way to save energy in the home.
- Light bulbs: Energy efficient light bulbs use up to 80 per cent less energy and can cost as little as 50 pence each.
- Fix dripping taps: A dripping hot water tap can waste enough water to fill half a bath in just one week.
- Replace your old boiler: Almost 60 per cent of what customers spend on their energy bills in a year is through their boiler. Upgrading to an A-rated high-efficiency condensing boiler could make a big difference.
- Turn down the thermostat: Turning down thermostats by one degree could cut the cost of a heating bill by 10 per cent.
“No one should have to worry about their energy bills. Customers should contact their energy company or call the Home Heat Helpline on 0800 33 66 99 if they would like more help and advice.”